What is a Banner?
First of all, a Banner is one of the most popular ad formats. This ad format is displayed on a website as a static image. You can work with Banner ads by CPC (cost-per-click). It means that you will pay for each click.
If you don't want to read the guide, watch our video guide on YouTube.
Which niches are best suited for Banner ads in 2024?
The best niches for Banner format:
- mobile apps;
- streaming dates.
Niches that are not relevant for Banners are the same as for a Popunder format: stores for children, fishing, products for specific professions (e.g., server setup services, car repairs), as well as unique product stores, travel agency websites, and hotel bookings. Wellness products also fall into this category.
Note: to sum up, it is better not to work with Banner if you have highly specialised offers.
Let's set up a Banner advertising campaign on the HilltopAds platform together!
How to start a Banner advertising campaign in HilltopAds?
To create a Banner advertising campaign, you need to register with HilltopAds as an advertiser. You can register using this link.
Next, to create an advertising campaign, you need to:
- Go to the Manage Campaign section.
- Click on the Add Campaign button.
If you are hesitant about starting your campaign immediately, please do not activate the Status tumbler.
3. Pick a Banner ad format (desktop or mobile).
4. We want to remind you that only the CPC Type of pricing is available for banner ads.
5. The next step is related to the selection of Traffic channels.
If you run 18+ offers, at this point you need to pick a non-mainstream channel. If you run offers without age restrictions, you need to choose a mainstream one.
Besides, we recommend launching your first ad campaign to high and medium traffic activities so you could get as many conversions as possible.
6. Set up Targeting settings. The settings here depend on the product type, pre-landing page and other details.
By the way, we recommend creating separate ad campaigns for each relevant country. Do not mix countries, especially Tier1 and Tier3 because there are different CPM and CPC rates and you won't get as many conversions as you could.
7. Set up Campaign filters and enable proxy traffic for our company. We don't recommend applying it because for Proxy traffic you are entitled to set up other targeting settings like language. If you would like to run ads to Proxy users, please create a new ad campaign.
8. Set up an Automatic Optimization tool Campaign Limits and Schedule. Auto Optimization will automatically add non-profitable traffic zones to BlackList.
9. Go to the Creative uploads. Upload an image. Then type in your Creative name. Is a unique name of a banner creative, this information is available only for you. In the Final destination URL field you need to specify your offer link that will be opened when a user clicks on your banner. Also here you can add placeholders to track your results.
To remove the ad, click on the Remove ad button.
10. Last step is about selecting the CPC rates.
Great! Save your campaign.
Usually, ad campaigns are approved within 1 business hour. If you create an ad campaign on the weekend, moderation might take more time.
- Image size 300х250 px.
- File formats: jpg, png, gif.
How to run Banner campaigns successfully?
Your banner creative should be bright and catchy among other content on a website.
So, let us share the main recommendations from our QA-department on how to successfully launch Banner campaigns:
- Add a CTA (call-to-action) button on your banner, for example, subscribe, learn more, buy and so on - it will help you get more conversions;
- Create a landing page that will continue telling the same story that is shown on a banner. For example, if you work with e-commerce offers and make a banner about an item for kitchen, there should be the detailed information about this item on a landing page;
- Check if there are any special promo codes that can be added on your banner. But do not mention non-existent discounts;
- Use several creatives to engage users and set up, for example, a display of 5 different banners per 6 hours;
- By default, banners will be shown randomly, if you want to specify exact sequence of banner display, please contact your personal manager;
- Also we recommend setting up the tracking of micro conversions like clicks on your banner.
Important: before you get your first impressions, you need to top up your balance. You can find more detailed information in the guide below.